Monday, July 4, 2011

Boys First Birthday- Looong Journey

My boys are 1 today.  I can't believe it.  For those who don't know... Benjamin Andrew and Noah Thomas were born 11 weeks early after my being in the hospital on bedrest for a month.  They are doing really well under the circumstances.  Actually that doesn't cut it... they are doing AMAZING under the circumstances. 


I was having a really hard time getting excited about the birthday.  A friend of mine with twins who are only a few days younger is super excited and having not one, but TWO parties for her girls.  It was all that I could do to invite the family over for bbq that we bought and bakery made cupcakes (I just procrastinated and couldn't bring myself to make them.)  Finally, when the house was semi-cleaned and we felt like we were going to pull off the small gathering the next day, Andrew and I sat down and talked and realized that FINALLY it clicked for us and we were feeling relieved and excited for ourselves and the boys.  We really hadn't felt like we'd made it until right then.  My overwhelming feeling has been gratitude to God, family, and friends for helping us through this.

I have noticed when I have said that they will be 1 in however many days, people have responded "that was fast".  It's amazing because in some ways it was definitely not fast and in other ways it went by like a speeding bullet.  There were times in the past year that I couldn't imagine how we'd survive and other times when I couldn't imagine where the days went.  I guess life is like that.  Either way, long or short, fast or slow... we all made it and are here.

I guess I should continue to play catch up and talk about where we came from and how we got here... another time and another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment